Categories
Crime Donald Trump Justice Department

Bill Barr Says New Subpoenas Suggest DOJ Is ‘Taking A Hard Look’ At Indicting Trump

According to former Attorney General Bill Barr, the latest grand jury subpoenas in the ongoing investigation of what transpired on January 6, 2021 are a “significant event” that suggests the U.S. Department of Justice is “taking a hard look” at high-ranking officials who served in the Trump administration and the failed one-term ex-president himself.

Speaking with Catherine Herridge of CBS News, Barr pointed to subpoenas issued for Pat Cipollone, who served as White House counsel for Trump and his deputy, Patrick Philbin:

“This suggests to me that they’re taking a hard look at the group at the top, including the president and the people immediately around him who were involved in this.”

Cipollone’s claims of executive privilege when it comes to conversations he had with Trump are also likely to face a court challenge, Barr added:

Barr also surmises that it looks like prosecutors are “going to try to get a ruling on the issue of executive privilege,” given reports by ABC News and other news outlets that former White House counsel Pat Cipollone has been subpoenaed to appear before the grand jury. The former attorney general noted that Cipollone, as then-counsel to the Office of the President, “has the strongest claim to executive privilege.”

“That’s sort of the biggest mountain for them to climb, and the fact that they lead off with that to me suggests that they want a definitive resolution — not only on Cipollone — but you know, this would affect [former White House chief of staff Mark] Meadows and some of the other people, too,” he said. 

Privilege does not apply in criminal cases, Barr noted:

“Another argument they have is that that the criminal justice process, as opposed to Congress — the criminal justice process — executive privilege has to give way — you can’t hide behind it when a criminal grand jury’s involved,” Barr said. 

“And then they would have other arguments, like the crime-fraud exception,” Barr told Herridge. “If it’s part of the crime itself, it’s not covered.” 

“And and another argument they would have is that some of the particular things weren’t really executive privilege,” Barr said. “The president was acting in his capacity as a candidate, not not the president.” 

Asked if thought current Attorney General Merrick Garland would indict Trump if there is evidence of criminal behavior, Barr said he believes Garland will indeed prosecute Trump if he has a strong case.

As for whether Trump should be the GOP nominee in 2024, the former AG made it clear he thinks that’s a bad idea:

“I don’t think he should be the nominee. I think it’d be really bad for the party, and I don’t support him as the nominee.” 

Categories
Donald Trump Elections GOP

Trump Attacks Barr As A ‘Marxist’ After Former AG Calls Him ‘Detached From Reality’

Failed, one-term, twice-impeached former president Donald Trump bitterly lashed out at his former attorney general, William Barr, just minutes after the January 6 House Select Committee played a videotaped deposition Barr gave in which he called the ex-president “detached from reality” for his repeated claims the 2020 election had been stolen from him.

In his testimony, Barr told Jan. 6 investigators:

“I was somewhat demoralized, because I thought, boy, if he really believes this stuff he has, you know, lost contact with — he’s become detached from reality.

“The election was not stolen by fraud.”

That triggered Trump BIG TIME, leading him to respond via his spokesperson, Liz Harrington, who, unlike Trump, still has a Twitter account.

It didn’t take long before others lit into Trump for his asinine complaint against the AG he handpicked.

 

Categories
Capitol Insurrection Justice Department

Jan. 6 Committee Has Had ‘Conversations’ With Former AG William Barr, Chairman Reveals

The House Select Committee investigating the January 6 Capitol insurrection has had “conversations” with former Attorney General William Barr, who was failed, one-term former President Donald Trump’s handpicked choice to run the Justice Department.

According to Jan.6 committee chair Bennie Thompson (D-MS):

“We’ve had conversations with the former attorney general already. We have talked to Department of Defense individuals. We are concerned that our military was part of this big lie on promoting that the election was false. So, if you are using the military to potentially seize voting machines, even though it’s a discussion, the public needs to know. We’ve never had that before.”

Barr resigned in December of 2020 as Trump continued to push his “Big Lie” about the presidential election being stolen from him. The ex-president and his supporters have yet to provide any credible evidence that there were irregularities in how the vote was conducted or counted.

Earlier this week, we learned that an executive order had been drafted for Trump which would have ordered the Secretary of Defense to have the National Guard seize voting machines across the United States:

The order, which was never signed by Trump, would also have appointed a special counsel “to institute all criminal and civil proceedings as appropriate based on the evidence collected,” and calls on the defense secretary to release an assessment 60 days after the action started, which would have been well after Trump was set to leave office on Jan. 20, 2021.

Thompson confirmed that report, telling CBS News host Margaret Brennan on Sunday:

“We have information that between the Department of Justice, a plan was put forward to potentially seize voting machines in the country and utilize Department of Defense assets to make that happen.”

Categories
Justice Department The Trump Adminstration

Former AG Bill Barr Was Served With Legal Summons And ‘Did Not Appear Happy’ About It

Former Attorney General William Barr isn’t used to being on the receiving end of bad legal news, but that’s exactly what happened today when he was served with a summons at his home in McLean, Virginia.

The summons is part of a lawsuit filed by former Trump attorney/fixer Michael Cohen, who alleges that Barr and ex-President Trump violated his First Amendment rights in 2020.

Specifically, according to Law & Crime, Cohen alleges that Barr had him placed in solitary confinement when it became known that he was writing a tell-all book:

Donald Trump’s former fixer turned critic Michael Cohen sued the former president, ex-Attorney General Bill Barr and other members of the previous administration on Thursday for sending him back to prison last year for 16 days of solitary confinement in alleged retaliation for writing a book.

U.S. District Judge Alvin Hellerstein ruled in July of 2020 that it was clear the DOJ under Barr’s instructions, wanted to silence him, writing:

“I make the finding that the purpose of transferring Mr. Cohen from furlough and home confinement to jail is retaliatory, and it’s retaliatory because of his desire to exercise his First Amendment rights to publish a book and to discuss anything about the book or anything else he wants on social media and with others.”

Word that Barr had been served came from Andrew Laufer, an attorney for Cohen, who noted that Barr was “wearing shorts and did not appear happy.”

Cohen also confirmed that Barr had been slapped with the summons, doing a bit of celebrating on Twitter:

 

Categories
Elections Fox News Justice Department

Bartiromo Screamed At Barr When He Refused To Steal The 2020 Election For Trump: Report

Fox News host Maria Bartiromo got into an enraged shouting match with then-Attorney General William Barr because he refused to say there had been widespread voter fraud in the 2020 presidential election, according to a new book from Jonathan Karl that will be released on Tuesday.

CNN reports that Bartiromo was livid that Barr wouldn’t join the attempt by some in the Trump administration to delegitimize the results which clearly showed Joe Biden would be the next president:

“Betrayal,” by ABC’s chief Washington correspondent Jon Karl, highlights Bartiromo’s damaging role as a promoter of reckless lies about the election.

In the book, which comes out on Tuesday, Karl writes that “Bartiromo had once been a widely respected and trailblazing financial journalist. As a correspondent for CNBC, she was the first television reporter to report live from the floor of the New York Stock Exchange. Now she had her own show on Fox News and she was using it to boost a series of unfounded allegations designed to overturn a presidential election.”

Barr confirmed to Karl that the conversation with Bartiromo did indeed take place and that he refused to budge when she demanded he cast doubt on the legitimacy of the election:

“She called me up and she was screaming,” Barr told Karl on the record. “I yelled back at her. She’s lost it.”

Karl said he reached out to Bartiromo for a response, because, “after all, it’s highly inappropriate for a journalist to call the attorney general and demand he do something related to a criminal investigation.”

“Bartiromo did not respond,” Karl wrote, “but a Fox News spokesperson did get back to me and denied Barr’s account of the conversation on Bartiromo’s behalf.”

As we long suspected, Fox News and other right-wing media outlets such as Newsmax and One America News were all part of the larger conspiracy to stage a coup that would allow Trump to remain in power indefinitely. The riots at the Capitol on Jan. 6 were also part of that plot, and are being investigated by the House Select Committee.

Every single person who played any role in the attempt to destroy this republic and our representative democracy should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. That includes Maria Bartiromo, who should also be shown the door by Fox.