Roger Stone got a pardon from failed, one-term, twice-impeached former president Donald Trump after he was convicted on charges of witness tampering and lying to Congress, but he’s in legal trouble yet again, getting handed a lawsuit by a process server Wednesday while he was in the middle of a radio interview.
Audio of the process server giving Stone the bad news was posted on Twitter by former federal prosecutor Ron Filipkowski and has quickly gone viral:
“While Roger Stone was live on the air this morning with ‘Real Talk 93.3’ (St Louis) doing an interview about the 2024 election, he gets served by a process server with the January 6 lawsuit.”
Stone had just started to explain to the interviewer why he thinks it’s so important for Trump to run again when he announced:
The papers, Stone said, were related to a civil lawsuit in the District of Columbia:
Cheering quickly began on social media after Stone revealed he was headed to court yet again:
A federal judge has ruled that prosecutors are required to name any and all co-conspirators in the upcoming sex trafficking trial of Ghislaine Maxwell, who allegedly acquired and groomed underage girls for sex with the late financier Jeffrey Epstein.
Law & Crime reports that U.S. District Judge Alison Nathan wrote in a three-page ruling:
Judge Nathan added that what prosecutors didn’t argue in their filings was significant:
“Moreover, the Government has not alleged that disclosure here would create ‘potential danger to co-conspirators’ or risk ‘compromising continuing investigations,’” the judge wrote. “It merely argues that disclosing the identities risks ‘harm to the Government from restricting its proof at trial.’
“The Government provides no explanation for this purported harm and none is apparent to the Court,” she wrote. “Thus, the Court finds that this concern alone does not outweigh the risk of surprise to the Defendant in this case or the need for the parties to litigate co-conspirator issues in advance of trial to ensure the absence of delay.”
Among that names that could be included in the government’s case as co-conspirators are Epstein, Prince Andrew of the British royal family, and former President Donald Trump, who was a longtime friend of Epstein and allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl with the deceased money manager. Those charges were later dropped, but the victim said she only withdrew her accusation due to threats against her and her family.
Maxwell is also facing a second trial on other charges:
Maxwell’s trial begins on November 19 in New York.
Like so many of her Republican colleagues in Congress, Rep. Lauren Boebert (CO) seems to think that the laws which apply to the majority of us don’t apply to her, but a new investigation of possible criminal behavior by the congresswoman could lead to charges against her and her campaign.
CNBC reports that the Federal Elections Commission believes Boebert diverted some $6,000 from her campaign for her personal use:
“A letter from the Federal Election Commission to the treasurer of Boebert’s 2022 reelection campaign inquired about four Venmo payments totaling more than $6,000.
“FEC filings show the payments came between May and June for what’s described on the forms as ‘personal expense of Lauren Boebert billed to campaign account in error.’ The filings then note that the ‘expense has been reimbursed.'”
Whether the charges were made “in error” is irrelevant because doing so is a violation of campaign finance law.
Asked for comment on the FEC letter, a spokesperson for Boebert said the expenses had been reimbursed but refused to reveal what the payments were for, noting:
The letter from the FEC also warns Boebert that they may indeed take legal action against her:
“If it is determined that the disbursement(s) constitutes the personal use of campaign funds, the Commission may consider taking further legal action.”
Another Republican, former California Rep. Duncan Hunter (R) was charged and found guilty for misusing campaign funds. He was sentenced to less than a year in prison and later pardoned by then-President Donald Trump.
Boebert, CNBC notes, has “been under scrutiny since she was elected in 2020” due to her controversial remarks and association with movements such as the extreme right-wing QAnon conspiracy theorists who believe the world political order is controlled by Satan-worshiping pedophiles who feed on the brains of children.
Boebert has claimed she has no connections to the QAnon movement, but multiple reports have linked her to the group.
The District of Columbia attorney general is focusing in on Donald Trump Jr. and Ivanka Trump for their role in an alleged scheme to defraud the 2017 Trump inaugural committee out of more than $1 million, according to The Daily Beast.
Attorney General Karl Racine has filed a civil lawsuit against both the inaugural committee and the Trump Organization which went to mediation earlier this month. However, no resolution was reached on the matter, which places it back in the hands of a judge overseeing the suit:
“The case will proceed, as all sides wait to see whether D.C. Superior Court Judge José M. López rules that the local law enforcement agency has already proven its case before trial. The office of the local attorney general, Karl Racine, has a pending motion for summary judgment arguing that the evidence already presented weighs that heavily in his favor.
“The local attorney general claims the Trump Organization and Trump International Hotel Washington, D.C. were ‘unjustly enriched’ by overbilling the nonprofit inauguration committee. The office wants the judge to force the return of $1.08 million in ‘misspent charitable funds.’ (The AG’s office wants to award that money to another civic-minded nonprofit of its choosing.)”
The suit is especially dangerous for Don Jr. and Ivanka, who are believed to have bilked the inaugural committee out of millions by directing events to the Trump International Hotel in the nation’s capital and overbilling on rooms and services provided at the hotel.
While Racine’s suit is asking for a civil judgement against the Trumps, his office retains the right to any evidence of criminal behavior to other agencies that could pursue the Trump Organization and seek criminal penalties, including imprisonment for fraud and other crimes.
One of the key figures in the inaugural fraud scheme was recently indicted in federal court:
“When Barrack was deposed in November 2020 by Leonor Miranda, an assistant attorney general with the office’s public advocacy division, he claimed that he wasn’t involved in the Trump family’s initial selection of venues—and that he didn’t know about the block of hotel rooms that were eventually paid by his committee.”
Barrack might be willing to cooperate with prosecutors and tell what he knows about possible crimes by the Trump family and Trump Org. If he wants to avoid spending the rest of his life in prison (Barrack is 74), he’d best start singing like a canary.
An arrest made Tuesday in Los Angeles is certain to send shockwaves across the inner circle of failed, one-term former President Donald Trump, and also suggests federal prosecutors are starting to take down everyone with any connections to the Trump administration.
According to NBC News, Tom Barrack was taken into custody by federal agents and has been indicted for allegedly working on behalf of a foreign government to influence U.S. foreign policy:
“In a seven-count indictment, unsealed in a New York federal court, Barrack, 74, and two others are accused of ‘acting and conspiring to act as agents’ of the UAE between April 2016 and April 2018. Barrack was also charged with obstruction of justice and making multiple false statements to federal law enforcement agents.
“The trio acted ‘to advance the interests of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) in the United States at the direction of senior UAE officials by influencing the foreign policy positions of the campaign of a candidate in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and, subsequently, the foreign policy positions of the U.S. government in the incoming administration, as well as seeking to influence public opinion in favor of UAE interests,’ the Justice Department said.”
Barrack is a longtime friend of the former president. It’s believed he sold access to the Trump White House on behalf of the UAE, a clear violation of federal law that could land Barrack in prison for decades.
Saudi Arabia is also part of the larger conspiracy to gain favorable treatment from the Trump administration, according to NBC:
Trump, you may recall, refused to penalize the Saudis for being behind the murder and dismemberment of U.S.-based journalist Jamal Khashoggi, who was employed by The Washington Post when he was called to the Saudi Arabian embassy in Istanbul, Turkey, and cut into pieces with a bone saw (while he was still alive) on the orders of Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman. Trump is also believed to have business connections to the Saudi royal family, some of whom have purchased luxury apartments from the former president.
Barrack’s arrest is especially troubling for Donald Trump Jr. and his sister, Ivanka Trump, both of whom were intimately involved in their father’s 2017 inaugural and are believed to have directed inaugural funds into hotels owned and controlled by the Trump Organization. Barrack might agree to testify against the Trump children in exchange for leniency.
Everywhere he looks, Donald Trump sees those connected to him being indicted. There’s probably an indictment with the former president’s name on it, too. The only question is when it will be unsealed.