Donald Trump may think he and his so-called legal team are ready for whatever Special Counsel Robert Mueller decides to unveil over the next couple of weeks, but it’s a safe bet that he’s underestimating exactly what Mueller has planned.
Based on a report from NBC News almost a month ago, May is when the Mueller team will be the most active, and that could be very bad news for the president and others under investigation as part of the probe into possible collusion with Russia during the 2016 election:
“Two people familiar with the investigation said they expect a flurry of activity from Mueller’s office on the investigation in the next six weeks around the anniversary of his appointment as special counsel.”
Since that report was dated April 12 and Mueller was appointed May 17, 2017, the next couple of weeks are going to be hectic, not only for the special counsel, but also for Trump and his GOP defenders in Congress — (Devin Nunes, Paul Ryan, Mark Meadows) — as indictments and subpoenas are handed down from federal courts in both Virginia and Washington, D.C.
What exactly can we expect to see as the month unfolds? Here’s some possible scenarios:
- Previously sealed indictments will be unsealed, letting us know exactly who Mueller has the goods on.
- Conspirators will be arrested by the FBI.
- Subpoenas will be issued demanding that witnesses appear to give testimony against those who are named in the indictments.
- Mueller will order Trump to appear before a grand jury, which will lead to a legal battle as the president tries to argue he cannot be compelled to show up. The Supreme Court will have to decide the issue, but established precedent suggests Trump will indeed have to testify.
- The special counsel will issue his report to Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein, and it will be made public after it’s forwarded to Congress, which will either act or delay the matter until after the midterm elections.
So strap in tight, gang, because this investigation is about to hit overdrive, and when it does, Donald Trump is screwed.